Name: Daniel Nicklin
Location: Hokkaido, Japan
Occupation: Mechanical Engineer
A versatile and experienced Mechanical Engineer with an in-depth knowledge of powertrain systems in the automotive industry. Hold a strong desire to face new challenges in order to continuously learn and expand on current skills. Invaluable experience of working abroad and leading projects between international teams, understanding the different approaches to working collaboratively in order to achieve the same goal.
- Effective Communication
- Project Management
- Teamwork and Development
- Problem Solving
- Test design, instrumentation and data analysis – ETAS INCA/Matlab
- Component design and solid modelling – Solidworks/Creo/Siemens NX
- Model Based Development of Hydraulic Systems – Siemens AMESim
- Web Design – WordPress, HTML & CSS
- Photo Editing & Graphic Design – Photoshop and Lightroom
|April 2020 – Present|
Hokkaido Resorts Group, Hokkaido, Japan
Property management company offering world class lodgings and rental properties. They are committed to developing tourism around Lake Toya by organising activities and events.
- Property Maintenance Manager overseeing all holiday and rental properties. Arranging repairs and providing technical direction to ensure that they are operated and maintained in a cost-effective and safe manner
- Preparing and checking guest rooms at the Lakehouse, assisting with all queries during throughout their stay
- Provide outdoor activities such as SUP, kayak, canoe and bicycle rental. Teaching guests when necessary and promoting through regular marketing and advertising
- Mechanical maintenance of all company vehicles and restoration of off-road tour vehicles
|Nov 2019 – Apr 2020|
SkiJapan, Hokkaido, Japan
Leading travel agency for ski resorts located across Hokkaido. Providing complete travel packages including accommodation, transfers and activities.
- Guest services representative at a luxury hotel complex handling guest check-ins and check-outs
- Booked tour and activities, making restaurant reservations, organising ski lessons and equipment rental
- Acted as a reliable local contact for guests during their stay and providing key local information and assistance
- Operated a frequent shuttle service from the hotel to ski lifts, restaurants and local shopping areas
|October 2015 – July 2019|
Denso Sales Ltd, Coventry
The UK engineering office provide technical support to Automotive OEMs within Europe using a range of testing facilities.
- As a project leader I have been responsible for technical support of an automotive OEM. This has required detailed planning, organising regular meetings, tracking potential issues and maintaining clear communication with the customer.
- Through vehicle and engine testing I have developed a detailed understanding of fuel injection components and their interaction with other systems. This has required related skills in test planning, data acquisition and data analysis.
- Gathering of information to understand future automotive market trends within Europe, providing feedback to steer direction of development and research.
|January 2017 – September 2017|
DENSO Corporation, Nagoya, Japan
DENSO are a leading global supplier of automotive technology, systems and components for major automotive manufacturers.
- During my placement I had greater involvement with customer projects; tailoring fuel injectors to meet customer requirements. This required skill in spray development with consideration for manufacturing, emission characteristics and engine operation.
- I developed a detailed understanding of fuel components through model-based development using Siemens AMESim. By simulating components and running parameter studies, areas for improvement could be identified.
|September 2011 – July 2015|
UWE Formula Student Team, Bristol
Formula Student is an international competition that challenges teams of University students to design, build and race a fully working race car.
- I was responsible for creating promotional material to attract new students and sponsors. This included managing all social media and regularly posting to the team blog.
- As Electrical Team Leader I managed a small team to design and build key electrical components that were used on the race vehicle.
- I organised and taught a small group of first year students through small classroom workshops, providing them with key skills for their engineering careers.
|July 2013 – March 2014|
Yamazaki Mazak UK Ltd, Worcester
Mazak are a large global manufacturer of computer-controlled machine tools. Worcester is the European headquarters and main manufacturing site.
- On rotation around the factory I learnt practical skills and experienced the process of construction from raw material through to final product.
- My main responsibility was tailoring bespoke machine options to meet specific customer requirements. This involved skills such as requirement capture, CAD modelling, producing technical drawings and issuing documentation.
- Negotiation and communication skills were developed through regular discussions with a diverse range of people including customers, staff and external suppliers
|April 2013 –|
Global Design Solutions Ltd, Bristol
GDS provide bespoke wireless lighting components and systems to theatres worldwide
- During assembly I developed an understanding of process efficiency, streamlining repetitive tasks in order to save time and strain.
- Technical tasks such as soldering, quality control and fault identifying required a high attention to detail to ensure the product was manufactured to the highest standard
|2011 – 2015|
University of West England, Bristol
First Class Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Hons)
This degree is accredited by the IMechE and the Engineering Council
Final Year Modules Included: Energy Technologies, Computational Methods, Composite Engineering and Dynamics and Control
Previous Modules Included: Group Project and Management, Stress and Dynamics, Thermodynamics and Fluids, Mechatronics, Electrical Interfaces and Mathematics
|2008 – 2011|
Worcester Sixth Form College, Worcester
AS Levels Studied: Chemistry (C), Photography(A)
A Levels Studied: Computing(C), Physics(B), Maths(C)
|2003 – 2008|
The Chantry High School, Worcester
Attained 13 GCSE’s with grades ranging from C to A*.
|July 2019||Japanese JPLT N5|
|July 2018||IMechE Managing Engineering Projects|
- Strong interest in travelling abroad, immersing in local culture and learning languages. Currently learning German and Japanese.
- Regularly active and outdoors taking part in competitive events for running, cycling and skiing
- Strong interest in sustainable engineering, alternative energy and designing for the future
- Interest in Photography and venturing into filmmaking
- Self-taught interest in web development and graphic design using HTML, CSS and WordPress. This has been useful in creating this personal portfolio (danicklin.co.uk)
You can contact me via email and I will provide a (.pdf) version of my CV on request.