Name: Daniel Nicklin
Location: Hokkaido, Japan
Occupation: Mechanical Engineer
Versatile Mechanical Engineer with a knowledge of powertrain systems in the automotive industry. Experience of working abroad and leading projects between international colleagues and customers, having developed an understanding of how to work efficiently and effectively with consideration for different work styles.
- Effective Communication
- Project Management
- Teamwork and Development
- Problem Solving
- Test design, instrumentation and data analysis – ETAS INCA/Matlab
- Component design and solid modelling – Solidworks/Creo/Siemens NX
- Model Based Development of Hydraulic Systems – Siemens AMESim
- Web Design – WordPress, HTML & CSS
- Photo Editing & Graphic Design – Photoshop and Lightroom
|April 2020 – Present
Facility and Vehicle Maintenance Manager
- Arrange and oversee repairs and maintenance of holiday and rental properties, ensuring they are kept to a high standard ready for guest arrival.
- Renovating and retrofitting properties in order to obtain appropriate licensing and meet regulatory checks.
- Started and managed an activity rental business providing SUP, Canoe, Kayak and bicycles. Through regular marketing and customer feedback, expanded the business to include workshops, camping and a small café.
- Regularly inspect and repair company vehicles and agricultural machinery. Restoring a fleet of off-road ex-military vehicles to be used on expeditions for the activity rental business.
|Nov 2019 – Apr 2020
SkiJapan, Hokkaido, Japan
Guest Services Representative
- Provided a seamless experience from guest arrival to departure. Handling inquiries, booking activities, making restaurant reservations and organising ski/snowboard lessons.
- Reliable contact to guest for the duration of their stay, providing detailed information about the local area and restaurants.
- Operated a frequent shuttle service from the remote hotel to the local ski field and nearest town. Utilised planning and good time management with consideration for the customer’s needs and winter road conditions.
- Quickly developed relationships with guests through friendly and clear communication, always received positive feedback. Some visiting again later in the winter season.
|October 2015 – July 2019
Powertrain Systems Engineer
- Project leader responsible for technical support of a major automotive OEM, use of regular project planning, meetings and issue tracking ensured that communication was clear between colleagues and customers. Successfully negotiated use of new injector spray technology which resulted in the customer meeting their target of reduced particulate emissions.
- Testing of vehicles and engine systems to evaluate performance and emissions characteristics. Experience of requirement capture, data acquisition and standardised emission drive cycles such as NEDC and WLTC. Developed a detailed understanding of fuel injection components and their interaction with other systems.
- Developed accurate and reliable multi-domain models of gasoline fuel injectors using Seimens AMESim. Parametric studies and design of experience pinpointed key areas for improvement. This led to quicker evaluation of new concepts, fewer physical prototype and therefore a shorter development time in response to customer requirements.
- Continual focus on process improvements for projects and daily tasks. Use of MATLAB to develop tools to quickly and reliably process large data files. Created a standardised set of easy-to-read graphs and tables for use in reports and presentations. Reduced previous manual method of one week down to one hour by automated script.
- 9-month placement at company headquarters In Aichi, Japan to learn company history, build relationships with colleagues and gain technical knowledge.
|September 2011 – July 2015
Electrical Team Leader
- I was responsible for creating promotional material to attract new students and sponsors. This included managing all social media and regularly posting to the team blog.
- As Electrical Team Leader I managed a small team to design and build key electrical components that were used on the race vehicle.
- I organised and taught a small group of first year students through small classroom workshops, providing them with key skills for their engineering careers.
|July 2013 – March 2014
Mechanical Design Placement
- • Rotated around each department of the factory to improve practical skills and to understand manufacturing capabilities and limitations while designing.
- Increased assembly efficiency and reduced number of errors to be correct by introducing process improvement, standardisation and documentation.
- Supported members of the design team, adapting product designs to suit the European market with consideration for manufacturing.
- Tailored bespoke machine options to meet specific customer requirements. This involved skills such as requirement capture, solid modelling using Solidworks, producing technical drawings and issuing documentation.
|April 2013 –
Electrical Assembly Technician
- During assembly I developed an understanding of process efficiency, streamlining repetitive tasks in order to save time and strain.
- Technical tasks such as soldering, quality control and fault identifying required a high attention to detail to ensure the product was manufactured to the highest standard
|2011 – 2015
First Class Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Hons)
This degree is accredited by the IMechE and the Engineering Council
Final Year Modules Included: Energy Technologies, Computational Methods, Composite Engineering and Dynamics and Control
Previous Modules Included: Group Project and Management, Stress and Dynamics, Thermodynamics and Fluids, Mechatronics, Electrical Interfaces and Mathematics
|2008 – 2011
Worcester Sixth Form College, Worcester
AS Levels Studied: Chemistry (C), Photography(A)
A Levels Studied: Computing(C), Physics(B), Maths(C)
|2003 – 2008
The Chantry High School, Worcester
Attained 13 GCSE’s with grades ranging from C to A*.
||Japanese JPLT N5
||IMechE Managing Engineering Projects
- Travelling and working abroad to immerse in the local culture and language. Able to speak Japanese at a conversational level.
- Regularly active and outdoors taking part in competitive events for running, cycling and skiing
- Strong interest in sustainable engineering, alternative energy and designing for the future
- Interest in Photography and venturing into filmmaking
- Self-taught interest in web development and graphic design using HTML, CSS and WordPress. This has been useful in creating this personal portfolio (danicklin.co.uk)
You can contact me via email and I will provide a (.pdf) version of my CV on request.